Cross-posted on Swiftcommunity.net
Imagine understanding thousands of data-sources in real-time and do market correlations; or leveraging deep unstructured data analytics in order to derive financial intelligence from unstructured data; and render all of this rich information to your users in rich user interfaces such as iPhone/iPAD or even gesture based user interfaces to do slicing and dicing of massive data sets.
Imagine unleashing the power of SWIFT semantics and standards knowledge on structured and non-structured information, and what could happen then. That is what our “Smart Data” theme in Innotribe at Sibos2010 (25 – 29 Oct 2010 in Amsterdam) is all about. We decided to call it “Smart Data” , as – at least in our industry – the words “semantic web” have – ironically – little meaning.
The ability to understand the semantic meaning of data will improve business intelligence for financial services. In essence, today SWIFT already tags semantically the fields of the standard SWIFT messages. Tomorrow, we could tag ANY information, including non-structured information hidden in PDF’s or Word documents or other information streams, overlay that information with existing other structured data sources, and offer pattern recognition services leading to deeper intelligence about those data sets. If you’re interested, I have prepared a more detailed write-up on my personal blog here .
As always in Innotribe @ Sibos, also this Smart Data theme is supported by Keynotes, Face-to-Face discussions, interactive workshops (Innotribe Labs) and R&D demonstrations.
Smart Data keynotes: “Towards more financial intelligence through semantics”
on Wednesday 27 October, from 09:00 – 10:30 in the Interactive workspace.
As for the other themes, we have a great line of speakers. All presentations will focus on what is the possible value of applying semantic technologies with a high relevance for financial services. So, these are not theoretical presentations, but examples of applied semantics. With demos so that you get a real feel of what happens when you start overlaying different data sources.
- Nova Spivack, CEO, Lucid Ventures. We are very excited to have Nova Spivack with us. Nova is in my opinion a worldwide visionary on semantic web. Nova will give a vision presentation showing how semantic web applies to financial services. He will be assisted by somebody from the financial business.
- Stephen Mongulla, Associate Partner, Financial Performance Management & Analytics, IBM (www.ibm.com ). In this talk, Stephen will describe a joint effort between IBM’s financial services research and software solution teams to leverage deep unstructured data analytics in order to derive financial intelligence from unstructured data. He will describe the various data sources available (such as SEC filings and social media), we show some interesting entities to be extracted (such as ownership structures, lending activity or consumer sentiment). He will briefly touch on the system aspects of our data extraction and analytics infrastructure and will conclude our presentation with a demo.
- Gary Thompson, Co-Founder and President, CLOUD Inc (http://www.cloudinc.org ) will present a compelling story on how transactions (the what) and the participants to those transactions (the who’s) can be semantically tagged, and how that results in powerful iPhone/iPAD applications. For once and for all, you will understand there is no “where” on the Internet.
- Mary Ann de Lares Norris, General Manager, Oblong Industries, Inc, Europe (www.oblong.com ). Mary Ann will give a video-demo of Oblong’s gesture-based user interface, slicing and dicing massive sets of semantic data sets. This is Minority Report becoming real. Not to be missed ! Here is the TED video on that subject:
Smart Data Face-to-Face discussion: “Which semantic evolutions will transform financial intelligence? “
on Wednesday 27 October from 12:30 – 14:00 in the Interactive workspace
The Face-to-Face discussion will be kicked-off by a 20 min thought provoking presentation by Rob Usey, CEO of www.Psydex.com , who will give a mind-blowing demo of their PsyngFX application: this application listens in real-time to thousand of structured and unstructured information feeds, does semantic tagging on the fly, and correlates this with marketdata. Whether your topic of interest is Oil Refinery Explosions, Apple Computer or Mergers & Acquisitions, Psyng can instantly alert you to key news events, delivering correlations and projected impacts as the news happens.
After this scene setting presentation, Eghosa D. Omoigui will moderate a panel of smart data specialists:
Currently confirmed are:
- Nova Spivack, CEO, Lucid Ventures
- Gary Thompson, Co-Founder and President, CLOUD Inc
- Rob Usey, CEO Psydex
- As we speak, we have 3-4 additional invitations to representatives of financial institutions using smart data technologies. Follow our Innotribe tweet to stay up-to-date on speaker confirmations in real-time.
Smart Data Lab
We are repeating the highly successful format of Innotribe Labs. One or more Smart Data Idea generation teams will be formed on the spot, and over the course of the 3 days they will prepare a professional pitch to be delivered on Thursday during the “Pitch your Lab competition, in front of the public and a very skilled Buyer’s Panel.
The Smart Data Innotribe Lab team will be supported by following professionals:
- Innotribe Leader Business: to be advised
- Innotribe Leader Technology: Nova Spivack, CEO, Lucid Ventures
- VC-Coach: Eghosa Omoigui, investor in Semantic Web start-ups
- Professional facilitators from The Value Web
- Your’s truly, as SWIFT representative
We’ll have this year a beautiful Innotribe corner integrated in the main SWIFT Stand. We’ll have a packed program here as well. We are still looking at the many candidates, and will do a separate blog on all the presentations scheduled throughout the week.
I am a big believer of Semantic Web, and always on the look for good educational material to help me explain what it is and why it is important.Please find below some great resources:
– Video made by Cisco, by their IBSG group (Internet Business Solutions Group).
– One single link with many other educational resources here .
– If you want to get somebody interested enough to do some more research, this 14 minute film by Kate Ray is the perfect thing to give you the appetite for the subject: Web 3.0 from Kate Ray on Vimeo.
Let’s start the conversation:
Innotribe is organised by SWIFT Innovation with the support of financial institutions, vendors and innovation leaders.
We just opened a Web-Storm on Innotribe.com to collect your idea on this Smart Data theme and the other 3 themes as we build up towards October. We will feed-back these ideas to the Innotribe Leaders before the actual Labs in Amsterdam. Check out www.innotribe.com
In the true spirit of less push and more pull, we encourage you to engage in a true dialogue with the Innotribe team. We look forward to seeing you in Amsterdam.
The Innotribe team