Meryl Streep, Barnard Commencement Speaker 2010, Columbia University. Via @JenniferSertl
About empathy and emotion, the essence of leading by being. About happiness and your own sense of wellbeing and purpose in the world. About staying alert, alive, and staying involved in the lives of people that you love, and the people in the wider world that need your help.
- “Imagine, imagine a different possibility”
- “Analyse your advantage”
- “Pay attention to the cracks, as that’s where the light gets in (Cohen)”
- “Emotion is the deep source of becoming conscious (Jung)”
- “There is no normal, there is only change and resistance to it,… and then more change”.
- “You have the opportunity and the obligation – by virtue of your provenance – to speed progress”
Being an actor has opened my soul